The La Habra City Council approved the formation of a Youth Committee in September 2001, at the recommendation of the La Habra Community Services Commission. The purpose was to provide a voice for our youth and an opportunity to develop leadership skills. The La Habra Youth Committee is an advisory body that encourages the City's youth to be active, contributing members of the community through events and activities that promote a sense of pride in the La Habra community.
- To better understand the La Habra community and local government process
- To serve as youth leaders and role models for the community at events such as La Habra Races, Egg Night, Spring Family Eggstravaganza, Love La Habra, National Night Out, La Habra Police Department Open House, Veterans Day event, Tamale Festival, Gem & Mineral Show and more.
- To plan, promote and participate in community service, educational and recreational activities for and with La Habra's youth.
- To grow lifelong leadership & personal skills
- To identify and complete projects
- Fulfill volunteer requirements for college applications
- Build confidence
- Develop leadership skills that can convert to life skills
- Create community connections
- Develop as a person
- Build teamwork skills
- Become passionate about serving causes that are relevant to the individual member
Members will be taught by industry professionals who can articulate relevant information that will help them with their future.
Who Can Be a Member:
- The Youth Committee is marketed to local public and private intermediate and high schools
- Applicants can be residents of the City, but attend a public or private school outside the city
- Applicants can be a resident home schooled student
The Youth Committee meets on the two designated Tuesdays, August through June, from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m. Attendance at those meetings is mandatory. Members are allowed no more than two (2) absences during each half of the 2022-2023 school year. Violation of this policy may result in removal from the Youth Committee. Members must contact the Youth Committee advisor prior to the meeting he/she is unable to attend. Members who adhere to the attendance policy will be recognized at a City Council Meeting in June, at the end of the current Youth Committee Year. Members are required to attend one Council or Commission meeting.
Youth Committee Seeking Members for 2022 to 2023
The City of La Habra Youth Committee is currently seeking members for the 2022-2023 academic year. Please review the information above about the requirements for serving on the Youth Committee. Download the Youth Committee flyer & application (PDF).
Important dates to for applying: Friday, June 24, 2022 - Applications are due at the La Habra Community Center or must be emailed to Melissa Rivera by 5:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact Melissa Rivera at 562-383-4200.