The La Habra City Council approved the formation of a Youth Committee in September 2001, at the recommendation of the La Habra Community Services Commission. The purpose was to provide a voice for our youth and an opportunity to develop leadership skills. The La Habra Youth Committee is an advisory body that encourages the City's youth to be active, contributing members of the community through events and activities that promote a sense of pride in the La Habra community.
- To better understand the La Habra community and local government process
- To serve as youth leaders and role models for the community at events such as La Habra Races, Spring Family Eggstravaganza, Jubilee of Gems, Red Ribbon Week Breakfast, Veterans Day Program and Operation Santa.
- To plan, promote and participate in community service, educational and recreational activities for and with La Habra's youth.
- To grow lifelong leadership & personal skills
- To identify and complete projects
- Fulfill volunteer requirements for college applications
- Build confidence
- Develop leadership skills that can convert to life skills
- Create community connections
- Develop as a person
- Build teamwork skills
- Become passionate about serving causes that are relevant to the individual member
Members will be taught by industry professionals who can articulate relevant information that will help them with their future.
Who Can Be a Member:
- The Youth Committee is marketed to local public and private intermediate and high schools
- Applicants can be residents of the City, but attend a public or private school outside the city
- Applicants can be a resident home schooled student
The Youth Committee meets on the two designated Tuesdays, July through June, from 6:15 to 7:30 p.m. Attendance at those meetings is mandatory. Members are allowed no more than two (2) absences during each half of the school year. Violation of this policy may result in removal from the Youth Committee. Members must contact the Youth Committee advisor prior to the meeting he/she is unable to attend. Members who adhere to the attendance policy will be recognized at a City Council Meeting in June, at the end of the current Youth Committee Year. Members are required to attend one Council or Commission meeting.
Youth Committee Seeking Members for 2019 to 2020
The City of La Habra Youth Committee is currently seeking members for the 2019-2020 academic year. Please review the information above about the requirements for serving on the Youth Committee. Download the Youth Committee brochure & application (PDF).
Important dates to for applying: Friday, June 14, 2019 - Applications are due to the La Habra Community Center by 5:00 p.m.
Week of June 17, 2019 - Interviews will be held
Week of June 24, 2019 - Notification of selection
For more information, please contact Jake Lujan at 562-383-4209.